Olivia Paregol is the University of Maryland student who died from an Adenovirus-related illness. CBS reports that the 18-year-old was a freshman in her first semester at the college. Paregol lived in a dorm at UMD that had to be evacuated due to mold.
According to COED, the University of Maryland learned of the first case of the virus on November 1 and five additional cases of the illness have been reported since then. Paregol passed away on Sunday, November 18 at John Hopkins University. The university didn’t want her name released but her parents thought revealing her identity could help increase awareness about the illness.
The tweet below explains that Olivia’s father doesn’t think she should have died from the virus. The mold issue in the dorm she lived in certainly didn’t help her get over the Adenovirus. If the university was doing an effective job, mold wouldn’t have been an issue.
Tragic. 18yo Olivia Paregol’s father shared this photo of her with us. He says the UMD freshman never should have died from adenovirus and has concerns about what the university knew when re: other sick students and if that info could have helped treat her. @fox5dc pic.twitter.com/QdDsIZVFtU— Evan Lambert (@EvanLambertTV) November 20, 2018
Olivia also suffered from Crohn’s disease. Pray for the Paregol family this Thanksgiving. Olivia should be home with her family enjoying the holidays. This tragedy should have never happened and the University of Maryland has a long list of questions to answer.
What do you think about Olivia Paregol’s death? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.